I needed the lake. This huge weight just lifted.
I walked out onto a small lighthouse pier. The breeze was nice and cool. I could have stood there all day. I probably would have if I hadn't realized that I hadn't eaten today and was starting to get a little dehydrated. I decided to walk to the Walgreens by my old apartment to get a mango paleta and a water.
But first, I took a picture and stayed there for another ten minutes.
You can see the famous parts of the Chicago skyline, very
distantly behind some haze and less famous buildings.
As soon as I was no longer in the cross breeze of the lake, the world became stifling. I became more aware that I hadn't eaten because I started feeling a little bit ill for a few minutes. It eventually passed as I decided not to even think about it.
Before I knew it, I was back in my old neighborhood, cutting across the park that was kitty-corner from my apartment building. I couldn't cut right through the park, as there were four or five soccer games happening side by sides, stretching from one side to the other. But I enjoyed watching people run and kick and thought about how much I enjoyed dribbling a soccer ball when I was a kid. I was always sort of disappointed that there were no teams in my town at that time. Now there are. Good for kids now.
I found the Walgreens, found my water, debated on whether I should get a paleta or not (I gave into temptation and it was delicious), and then lazily made my way home. I had kept up a nice aerobic pace for most of my walk to the lake and a great deal of my walk to the Walgreens, only pausing to skip songs on my iPod or wait for a light. But all bets were off while I was finishing a quickly melting treat and enjoying the slightly putrid stench of Rogers and Touhy.
I almost said "fresh air" but we all know that would have been a lie.
Now I need a shower.

No comments:
Post a Comment